The adventures that come with raising three boys and the honost feelings that come from missing our precious girl.

Monday, August 24, 2009

Trusting Faith

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding." Proverbs 3:5

It's been 71/2 years now since we held our sweet girl in our arms. Lately I've been feeling like it's getting harder for me. Seven years is a long time and I liked it better when I could say, "Just 3 months, 6 months, even a year ago we were taking care of Lauren and kissing her little cheeks." Oh sure, the emotions were flying high back then, but the memories were so fresh. I still remembered how she felt in my arms, how she smelled, and how her tiny cry sounded. Now it is so fuzzy. There are too many other things crowding those memories in my brain. So much time has passed and so many things have happened since then. Several weeks ago, Matt and I were developing some pictures for a project that my sister in law was working on for my parents. After we picked them up, I opened the envelope to see how they turned out. When I pulled out the pictures of Lauren I started crying immediately. Right there in Meijer, I just busted out the tears. I couldn't help it. I was standing there looking at my little girl and she was so beautiful and it had been too long since I had really looked at her. Time is a weird thing and it most definitely doesn't heal all wounds. It's a good thing I know Someone in the healing business.

I was clearing off a bookshelf the other day and came across a piece of paper with a passage I had typed out from a book I had read. I actually read it outloud to the group of family and friends who came to a balloon launch we had in memory of Lauren. It was just what I needed back then when everything was so fresh and it is just what I need to be reminded of 7 years later. Forgive me for not remembering what book or who the author is but here is what it says.

"Scripture tells us that in this life, our view of reality is like a blurry reflection in a mirror but that someday we will see God clearly, as He really is, and we will see Him face to face. Our earthly eyesight is just too imperfect to see down the road far enough for this life to make sense. That's when trust takes over. God doesn't expect us to understand all of life's circumstances. In fact He tells us not to rely on our understanding, but to trust Him. So when you are tempted to ask why or when your heart wants desperately to make sense of it all, remember Proverbs 3:5. You don't need to understand, what you need to do is trust in the Lord. When trust turns to praise and we open our mouths to thank Him for His goodness, something supernatural takes place inside our souls. We find peace and strength. We forget about ourselves and instead focus on the One who holds the world in His hands. When we stop striving to understand and give in to trust, we will see that His mighty hand was at work all along in the thing we thought would crush us."

You see, even though our daughter was born with a chromosome disorder that was, "not compatible with life", and we no longer have the joy of having her with us, God is still God and he is still good. He never promised that we would live lives, void of any troubles or hardships, but that he would be there with us and never leave us. He has walked this road with us and carried us most of the way. He knows every tear I've cried and heard every desperate prayer I've prayed. I have a reason to praise him and I should....and I will.

13 comments:

  1. You always make me cry when you talk of your sweet Lauren. I can't wait to meet her someday. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After a rough couple of nights that was what I needed to read. Your life, your story, your lessons, all of it shows that you are blessed in ways I am just beginning to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie - you are a blessing and I love it that you area willing to share from your heart. Of course, I always love reading Lauren posts and pausing to remember that sweet little niece of mine, but I also know that God is really using you in the lives of others, and that is so exciting to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie,

    I think of Lauren often too and it still hurts, but like you I "choose" to trust in Gods perfect plan for Lauren and our lives. Now I have to hold back the tears at my desk because just reading about her reminds me of just how much I loved that first grandchild and just how of my heart still holds all those memories that flood in when I read your posts about her.

    I love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was touching and beautiful Jamie. I am sad for your hurt, and in awe of your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love her so much . . . and you, too, even if you do make me cry! I think Lauren was "compatible with life". Look at the lives she has changed-- mine included! She's the one who taught me how to grieve with hope. I'll never understand God's plan, but I will trust Him. And I can't wait to watch your sweet girl run into your arms someday in Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post, Jamie...and great thoughts. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jamie, I ran across your sister-in-law's blog, left a comment, she then read my post for today and she encouraged me to check your blog out.
    I too have lost a child (twin girls in September 2007) and your words are so true to what I am feeling these days. "God is still God and He is GOOD!"
    Lauren is beautiful, as are her brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praising Him in the midst of trials and pain. Trusting when we don't understand. It's a delight to meet you. And an honor.

    Blessings from Costa Rica,
    Sarah Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  10. As I sit here with tears running down my face, I am reminded of all the wonderful memories I have of Lauren....starting with our "secret talks" at work about being pregnant:) I am so greatful to have such a wonderful friend as you and am so glad we have been able to share so many special times together...both happy and sad. You have been such an encouragement to me. I'm sure I've told you this before but I'll say it again...what an honor it has been to share all three of my pregnancies with you! If you ever want to have a good "girls night to cry" Kaicee and I would love to come over and sit with you...looking through pictures and listening to stories. Kaicee still, on special occasion, wears the locket Evan gave her. Every once in a while she will cry as she thinks of her special first best friend that she misses so much! We love you, Jamie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jamie,

    This is just beautiful. I am so glad you choose to trust God every day, knowing that He is still worthy of all praise and honor. Thanking you for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have blessed and inspired me with this post... Youre grace is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jamie, thank you so much. with what Dwight and I are facing, I needed to be reminded we are not alone at all! God is more real than any pain or fear I am feeling today. Yes, tomorrow will come and with it changes that we may not like,but God is sooo good and He will carry us through. The family of God is just that, a family,but one that knows how to point us in the right direction. Thank you for pointing us in the right direction,to our Father's arrms.

    ReplyDelete