The adventures that come with raising three boys and the honost feelings that come from missing our precious girl.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Blueberry Summer

We love blueberries at our house! This summer I've taken the boys several times to go picking with me. The first time was a little iffy but they got the hang of it soon enough. (and by "got the hang of it", I mean they realized they could use the pick and eat method.) The first time we went, Jake was picking on a bush behind me and kept asking me to look and see if the berry he picked was a good one.

I told him to taste it and if it was good then the berries like it would be good too. He decided that was a good enough answer and went back to picking. Pretty soon he said, "Mom, I'm tasting each and every one!" I thought he just meant he was eating all that he picked instead of putting them in his bucket. I looked in his bucket a minute later and found that he was indeed tasting each and every one. He was picking, taking a bite, and then dropping the half eaten berry in his bucket!



Evan didn't even mess around with putting any in his bucket. They went straight down the hatch and when I tried to convince him to pick them to take home he tried chanting, "Don't eat 'em, don't eat 'em, don't eat 'em." , while he was picking. It didn't work and every time I asked him how his bucket was coming along, he said "Not good".


Colin mostly ate his too but wasn't good at remembering that only the blue ones were good to eat.

I'm glad we made so many fun memories this summer! I'm really going to miss the blueberries and the picking now that summer is nearing an end and school is starting very, very soon. There are fun things that go along with that but there is nothing quite like summer time!


7 comments:

  1. I LOVED this post!! I am seriously laughing out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is TRAGIC that I have only picked 2x. Maybe there's time to squeeze one more in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you want to know what's really sad? I didn't even know you had this blog. Holy cow, I have NOT been keeping up with anybody lately. I so miss reading your post and thourougly (?)...completely enjoyed catching up with your family again! You do such a great job of blogging! I love reading your posts! I really need to get back into this...i miss it. Was this hard to do? I'm so computer illiterate :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie,

    I love the adorable pictures of my adorable grandsons and I had to sit hear and laugh at the thought of them picking, eating, picking, eating etc. because I know their love of blueberries was too strong to anything but taste all of them.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoops, that would be sit here (not hear) and laugh...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! I stumbled onto your blog today because I loved the name. I used to have a private blog by the same name because I have three boys also. Isn't berry-picking fun? We went for blackberries just this morning. It's nice "meeting" you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun Jamie! We went a few times this year too...unfortunately none of my kids except Ruthie like them! I think I picked a total of 100 cups this year! :) We will sneak them in somehow.

    Love keeping up with you through the blog! Enjoy the last few weeks of summer. :)

    ReplyDelete