The adventures that come with raising three boys and the honost feelings that come from missing our precious girl.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Eight

Last night when I tucked the boy's in bed, I told them that tomorrow was someones birthday. They guessed everyone they could think of and then I told them it was someone we love who lives in Heaven. Their faces lit up and they shouted, LAUREN! I love when they say her name or talk about her. They have a sister that they never knew but somehow I know they love her.

Evan came home from school one day a while back and told me that he drew a picture of our family. I asked him to tell me about it, and he said, "I made me and Jake and Colin and you and daddy. You were holding Lauren and we were all smiling because Lauren was with us." What a reason to smile. Things like this are a gift to me, I love it. Jacob was looking at a baby picture of himself one day and told me, "Hey I look like Lauren, both our hands are the same." Sure enough, in his three month picture his hands are folded up by his face just like hers were in one of the pictures we have hanging up. Colin is still a bit young to talk much about her but when he says her name "Yo-yen" it gets me every time.

Today would have been her eighth birthday. Sometimes it seems so far away, like it never really happened. But it did happen. I know that on December 23, 2001 we welcomed a little girl into our family. We have hours of video tape of her and hundreds of pictures. So I know it happened. I know we have three sons, but before that we had a daughter. Our sweet, beautiful girl, Lauren Rebecca. I struggle every year to know what to do with this day. It's just hard do do birthday's without the guest of honor. I'm sure we will look through her scrapbook. We may end up going out to the cemetery. Whatever we do, I know we will be celebrating in our hearts this day eight years ago when God gave us Lauren.

7 comments:

  1. Thinking and praying of you Jamie. Your family is so blessed to have such a wonderful mother that loves each of her children so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all so blessed to have Miss Lauren as a part of our family. Our time with her was way, way too short, but someday...

    Have a special day remembering your baby girl.

    -Aunt Shannan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be thinking of Lauren and your family today. Her life made your family and this world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even if I live to be 100, I'll still remember this day. And I'll celebrate. Maybe by then we can be neighbors . . . sharing a room in the nursing home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking of you/praying for you during the past couple of months. I always look forward to your Lauren posts. You are such an amazing person, such an inspiration and shining light to the world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too, love reading your Lauren post's...and, as usual, shed tears while reading. I am so greatful to have spent time with Laruen and had a chance to love on her :) What a special little girl she is...I wouldn't expect anything less, considering the family she came from. Praying for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just stumbled onto your post from FPFG and it made me cry. I had twin sons who lived 17 days. They were conjoined twins. I know what you mean about the birthday day. It's a hard day even 26 years later, but I love/trust God and I know he has a plan. How awesome is it that they have got to celebrate their birthday with him for the last 26 years. I know his parties are way better than any I could ever host!! God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete