The adventures that come with raising three boys and the honost feelings that come from missing our precious girl.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Kitchen Re-do

Our kitchen has been a two part process. Part one made the kitchen functional and part two made it pretty. When we bought our house we tore down the wall paper and painted  in the kitchen. Then three months later we added an island and different cabinets so the set up made more sense.  That was part one and we did it on the cheap, in hopes of being able to do more later.

Forgive me for these first set of pictures. They were taken back in the dark ages before we had a digital camera. I guess we are still in the dark ages because we don't have a scanner so I had to take a picture of the pictures. Oh well I thought it was important to show you the BEFORE, before pictures.


Yes, that is a tiny little Evan in the corner there:)


Here are the second set of before pictures. These were taken right when we were starting to make some of our pretty changes. The wainscoating was already up around the island and even though the kitchen was far from clean I knew I had to take before pictures while they were still before. 








I have never been known for my decorating skills and up until recently didn't know what I wanted or what style I was.  I'm getting better and I get lots of help from an expert who happens to be related to me. She is the one who encouraged me to go for it when I showed her the blog post that inspired the style I was going for in my new kitchen. Then she helped me pick out colors and details, she is awesome.
Here is my new kitchen. I wish I was a better photographer but I'm not so you'll see shadows and the color is probably all wrong but you get the point. (I hope)






Shout out to my electrician husband who did all the lighting. He is dang good at his job and he built these lights himself when we couldn't find what we wanted for the price we needed. Awesome.
                               


My husband also built this cabinet. (For the same reason as above.) Yes, he can do everything. I married well, very well.
                                




I love my new kitchen and it has given me the bug to re-do all the other rooms in my house! One thing at a time I suppose.



*I'm linking up today at Metemorphosis Monday.

32 comments:

  1. I love it Jamie!!! Woohoo to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am entirely in love with this kitchen. Can I move in??

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - I'm back again. I love the pic with the fruit bowl on the table and the two doors behind it. Very artsy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great change over the years!
    thanks for sharing... dee dee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful job. I love the chair for your desk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SERIOUSLY. You just dialed my number, girl! This summer, I discovered, thanks in part to your creative sister-in-law, that I, too, am in LOVE (or is it lust?!) with Vintage such as this! Swoony! I'm so jealous and would LOVE to come take a peek for myself some time. I have little bits of "stuff" but who knows if the day will ever come for it to all come together. Great Job, Jamie! (Goodness, I sound CRAZY excited :) )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like your kitchen is way more functional this way and I love all the happy colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. gak! I love it all so much I can't stand it. Glad to meet the other Jamie in Shannan's life. She speaks highly of you. I'm sure it has something to do with the name. Seriously, great job on the kitchen. I bet you just love being in it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's great!! Love the vintage fabric and other vintage accents! Oh, and your husbands work is fantastic...like the beadboard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks beautiful Jamie! .....Ethan is really enjoying Kindergarten with Jake! He talks about him when he gets home almost everyday... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just delightful. This is Sha's cous from PA. You did a great job. We have long range plans to redo our hub as well. I love to see kitchens that look so clean and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy new kitchen!!! (I have a li'l platter that matches your fruit bowl)

    Have a beautiful week!

    : )

    Julie M.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the exact same breadbox! Everything is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, I came over from that Expert:)
    She's a sweetie.
    And I love decor and all that stuff, so I had to see!
    Golly, it turned out beautiful. Love it. Wish I could see it in person!! Your hubby did a great job, too. Isn't it awesome when the family men happen to have those special talents.. ? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. jamie, your kitchen looks fantastic! i love all the vintage red and green touches. and i think i'm in love with that scale. swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love love love everything. I think my favorite is the window fabric. Delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful kitchen! I found you from FPF's blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's beautiful Jamie! I love absolutely everything, but I think my favorite just may be the gorgeous tablecloth window treatment. It ties it all together perfectly. Ahhh, subway tile, beadboard and vintage goodness - it doesn't get any better!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it. Bright and charming. Are those chairs yellow? I love things like that that pop with color. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  20. the kitchen looks so bright and fresh, I love all your vintage pieces and the little pops on color in red and yellow

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm visiting from Shannan's blog. I love your new kitchen. It is FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very charming vintage kitchen and much better flow as the pros would say. Your hubby is really good at crafting he did a wonderful job on the lights they are perfect and the cool cabinet it looks vintage!! And you have a lovely family the boys are so sweet. I was blessed with 4 wonderful sons and a daughter too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely Jamie! Do you find yourself cooking more often? :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous kitchen! You did an amazing job.
    -FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW what a beautiful kitchen!! Love allthe vintage touches:) Thanks for sharing. Elma
    elma2179@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh I love it. I am so jealous. Especially our cabinets that Matt made and the collection of beauties inside. I need you to come and make over my kitchen ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's SO PRETTY!
    Great job on the re-do. It's such a cheery place!

    :-)
    Layla

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your kitchen is charming and I love how warm and happy it is! Great job:).

    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete