The adventures that come with raising three boys and the honost feelings that come from missing our precious girl.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Annie Jane

I have this friend, Sarah. We grew up about a mile from each other and have been friends since 1st grade. We have a history. We always knew we were a lot alike and people still mistake us for sisters when we're together. I'm always very flattered when that happens. I love her and even though we have been separated by many miles most of our adult lives, we have remained very close.

Sarah was one of the few people that I drew comfort from when our Lauren went to be with Jesus. She wrote me a note about 2 months after Lauren died and in it she said,

"I hurt for you and Matt, because I can't imagine your pain, I want to be there for you, to understand what you are going through, but I can't."

In the same note, she affirmed my feelings, assured me that she was praying for me, offered her support, and let me know that she would never forget Lauren. She is a great friend and her support meant so much to me. She was good on her word and has continued to love and support me through this almost 8 years later.

It breaks my heart to say that on Friday, we will be attending the funeral of Sarah's 6 month old baby girl, Annie Jane. Annie was sick for about a month before doctors discovered she had a large brain tumor. She went from the arms of her mom and dad straight into the arms of Jesus on September 22. I can't understand how something like this happens or why. Matt and I felt like since we went through what we did with Lauren, that everyone close to us was "off the hook" so to speak. Surely this type of tragedy wouldn't strike so close to home again. It did and boy does it hurt.

My prayer is that I can be the kind of friend to Sarah that she was to me. I certainly don't have any answers but I can offer her the same support she offered to me and this time, unfortunately, we will both understand the pain that comes with this type of loss. I hate that it is like that. I hate that Sarah has to know that pain. I hate that we have that in common. I do know that God is at work and I am trusting that he will sustain Sarah, Peter, William and Kate.

I am coveting your prayers now for my dear friend and her family. Pray for a peace that passes all understanding. They are going to need it. Annie Jane and Lauren are together in heaven. I can only imagine that they will be the best of friends.

I will leave you with a scripture that Sarah and I memorized (or were supposed to memorize) during a bible study that we attended together.

Isaiah 61:3 "and provide for those who grieve in Zion - to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor."

10 comments:

  1. Jamie-

    This was a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing part of our story. I am amazed at how God is working all through this situation. I am praying for you, and I am praying for Peter, Sarah, William and Kate. I am praying for peace and comfort. I am praying for strength. I am praying that we would trust God in this.

    I Love You,

    Your Husband

    ReplyDelete
  2. How am I supposed to work when I can't stop crying? This is so beautiful, Jamie. Your friendship with Sarah is beautiful and Annie is beautiful and the verse was perfect. I will keep praying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why our wicked world works this way, but I do know that God is with you, and your friends, and even me. I constantly repeat to myself "I am always with you" to remind myself of that. This weekend is the 2 year anniversary of my sweet Samuel's passing, and while I spend time with him and Jesus I will be thinking of you, your family, and your friends. I know we can each survive and thrive with peace from God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart is just broken for Sarah and her darling Family. Will you give her an extra long hug for me tomorrow? I wish I lived close enough that I could come. Everytime it comes to mind, which has been often I send a prayer towards heaven for her. I'm so glad she has you and your loving empathetic heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing this with the world. This is one way that the internet brings people closer together. I know neither you nor Sarah personally, but have heard much about both through loved ones. May you be a blessing to Sarah - a comfort to one who is in need of comforting - and may you be comforted in the midst of memories and missing your baby girl.
    A Friend in Christ,
    Heather
    (Daughter of Brenda Bitting)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Little lambs are God's specialty. Isaiah 40:11 says,"He gathers his flock like a shepherd. He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young." I will be praying that peace will touch Sarah and her family in very real and special way. I also thought of 2 Corinthians 1:3-4. God will use you and Matt to touch many lives for him. I will also be praying for you too and that God will give you the grace you will need to minister to Sarah in the many days and months ahead, and yes, the years ahead. Take care dear one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. give Sarah & her family our love and prayers.

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I'm blog visiting today, and found myself here. My heart goes out to you and Sarah. I can't even begin to imagine how I would survive something like that. Isn't it amazing that God put the two of you together, knowing that you would find a kindred spirit in your suffering? I will keep Sarah and her families in my prayers...

    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is not the kind of bond anyone would want, but I am so thankful you have each other to draw strength from. A friend of mine lost her 7-month-old baby 2 months ago and I am awed at the providence of God in her life as He held her up in her darkest hours. Sometimes it is not for us to understand, only to cling to our Father in trust. I'm praying this morning for your sweet friend.

    Hugs to you,

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry for both of your losses. And you will say the right thing and do the right thing, because you know just what she needs. My prayers are with you both. What a beautiful friendship.

    ReplyDelete